John heads up the BBW Lawyers commercial team. With almost eighteen years’ experience in both Australia and the United Kingdom, he has diverse expertise in front and back end commercial advisory and transactional legal work with matters ranging from routine, business as usual up to multi-million dollar deals.
An experienced advocate, John also represents and advises clients in commercial litigation and dispute resolution with a focus on insolvency and debt recovery proceedings.
John’s clients include a variety of commercial operations and companies. He has special knowledge of commercial, private and not-for-profit businesses, industry associations and financiers, throughout the aged care and retirement villages industry.
- Advising a service provider in relation to a $1.1 billion government fund, including assisting with the due diligence process and the negotiation and finalisation of the fund’s services agreement.
- Acting in a $20 million manufactured home park sale on behalf of the vendor, including assisting with the due diligence process and thereafter disposal and transfer of all assets.
- Preparation of a suite of multi-million dollar supply agreements including preparation of tender documents, advice as to tender process and review of tender offerings, selection of suppliers and formal implementation of supply agreements.
- Dispute over ownership of company and assets between national organisation and federation of state bodies involving the Corporations Act, Australian Consumer Law, Trade Marks Act and Trusts issues.
- Acting on behalf of defendant companies and individuals in relation to a GBP335 million money-laundering dispute involving an alleged international conspiracy in the UK, USA, and Asia.
- GBP220 million contractual dispute between a significant UK government department and various companies (both UK and USA based) over use of military hardware.
- Acting for international organisation in recovery of $14 million, involving uncommercial transactions, breach of contract, unreasonable director-related transactions, transactions to defeat creditors and breach of director’s duties.
- Acting for financial services company who sought recovery of large outstanding debt from multiple organisations.
- Dispute between a landowner, various homeowners and an electricity supplier/solar panel installation company concerning misleading and deceptive conduct, statutory guarantees, claims for property damage, breach of contract, Electricity Supply Act issues, and Federal Government funding issues.
- Financial services dispute in relation to investment advice.
- Company dispute with separation of joint property and assets, Trusts, misuse of company funds and loans, breach of director's duties, and Corporations Act issues.
- Major dispute between a landlord and project manager, involving issues of performance, delay, design, form of contract, claim for additional monies, and security of payment.
- Acting for large institutional property client in recovery of $1.2 million.
- Acting for financial services client in recovery of $1.4 million.
- Various commercial and retail lease disputes.
- Successfully representing aged care and retirement village operator in both first instance NCAT dispute and resulting Appeal.